For loops and column vectors

From: Rik
Subject: For loops and column vectors
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 09:58:13 -0700

6/17/11

All,

I came across what I consider to be odd behavior, but perhaps we are trying
to emulate Matlab or perhaps someone knows a better reason for this.  In
short, the for loop construct works correctly when the range expression is
a row vector but not when it is a column vector.

Sample Code:
for i = [1:3]
  disp (i);
  disp ("--");
endfor

Output:
 1
--
 2
--

for i = [1:3]'
  disp (i);

Output:
   1
   2
   3
--

In the second case the loop variable gets assigned the entire value of the
column vector and the loop iterates just once.

Any ideas?

Rik