Octave-Forge bugs in the tracker?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Octave-Forge bugs in the tracker?
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 10:05:51 -0400

On 22-Jul-2011, Søren Hauberg wrote:

| On the Octave-Forge list there is currently a discussion on how we
| should handle bugs in packages. Currently, we have no bug-tracker and
| use e-mail for keeping track of them (like Octave used to do). This
| isn't the most reliable system, so we are considering using a
| bug-tracker.
|
| The question is then: can we use the one Octave uses? That would give
| users a single point of entry for filing bugs. Currently users cannot
| figure out where to send bugs (Octave gets bugs for Octave-Forge and
| vice-versa), so it would be nice to use the same system for everything.

On savannah, you have to be a project member to do things like close
bug reports.  And as far as I know, the restrictions on what project
members can do is not very fine grained.  So if we made all Octave
Forge package developers members of the Octave project on savannah to
allow them to manipulate the bug database, they would also have
complete access to the Mercurial archive for Octave itself.  Sorry,
but I'm not comfortable doing that at the moment.

If you want to begin aligning the Octave Forge project more closely
with the Octave project, how about moving it to savannah, but possibly
renaming it "Octave Packages" or something similar to avoid the
confusion that I think arises partly because of URL used for Octave
Forge is "octave.sf.net" rather than "octave-forge.sf.net".

If the packages were hosted on savannah, maybe we could modify
savannah's bug tracker so that we could move bugs from one project to
another, so that if people submitted bug reports to the Octave tracker
for a package function, we could simply reassign it to the bug tracker
for the Octave packages project.