Re: Binary distributions (was: Re: Release goals for 3.6)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Binary distributions (was: Re: Release goals for 3.6)
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 13:26:24 -0400

On  2-Aug-2011, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

| On 2 August 2011 12:08, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
| >  so far we don't seem to have even one volunteer who really appears
| > to want to take on the job of building binaries for Windows.
|
| That's not fair, we have several who have worked a lot on Windows
| builds. Tatsuro Matsuoka, Benjamin Lindner, Michael Goffioul, to name
| a few.

I did not mean that we had never had someone building binaries.  But
are any of these people actively building and distributing a binary
installer that typical Windows users expect?

| I'm not even sure about the argument that the MSVC build was a
| GPL violation. Surely other people make GPL software on MSVC?

This seems a separate issue to me.  And in any case, MSVC is not
required to build binaries for Windows, is it?  Won't MinGW do the
job?