Re: strread.m

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: strread.m
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 18:11:20 -0400

On  2-Aug-2011, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

| But I'd like to know if directly reading (by some sscanf or so) e.g., an
| int8 from a string is superior (in the sense of conversion errors) to
| casting from double to int8. (and int16, int64, unsigned int8, ...)

I would think it would be fine for all except int64, because a double
can only handle integers up to 52 bits exactly.

Looking at the documentation for Matlab's textscan and strread
functions, they seem to be significantly different, and textscan seems
to have many more format options.  So why handle textscan with
strread?