Re: Binary distribution

From: Julien Salort
Subject: Re: Binary distribution
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 15:10:11 +0200

Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso <address@hidden> writes:

> No, GNU-based distributions are often competent enough to do their own
> packaging and in fact prefer it this way. Windows and Macintosh OS
> users prefer to go digging through webpages and clicking on download
> links on individual project pages to get their software. Many other
> free projects distribute binaries just this way, treating Windows and
> Macintosh differently.

You can do basically the same  thing on the Mac using either Fink (which
uses  Debian-style  packages  and  dependance tree)  or  MacPorts  (with
BSD-style packages).

Personnally, I find those  much more convenient than individual bundles,
mostly because I use a  lot of opensource softwares. However, some users
find it weird to be requested  to build and install hundreds of packages
when they only want one single program...