Re: Binary distribution

From: fork
Subject: Re: Binary distribution
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 19:24:26 +0000 (UTC)

Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso <jordigh <at> octave.org> writes:

>  Many other
> free projects distribute binaries just this way, treating Windows and
> Macintosh differently.

Right now I am trying to get all the dependencies for printing for the 3.4.2
mingw binary (which are not included, for plenty of good reasons), and it is a
royal pain (the lack of a built-in compiler, wacked file layout, etc, etc).
(OK, got ghostscript and ghostview, set the paths, now how do I get fig2dev and
pstoedit?...) Another plea for a self-contained binary, I guess.

One way I look at it is that Unix is like an old Ford automobile, in that it is
meant to be torn apart and put back together by competent techs or hobbyists. It
is also meant to tinker-toy chain programs together easily.  Windows is the
opposite: like a modern integrated and sealed car, which is designed to PREVENT
tinkering by techs and efficient reuse of components (because selling self
contained components is much more profitable).

(Mac's are somewhere in between.)

Again, if I had a choice at work, I would be sitting at a Linux machine, but I
don't ....