Re: [Patch, Profiler] Profiling of operators

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [Patch, Profiler] Profiling of operators
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 23:43:48 -0500

Hi, Daniel. I've pushed your changes, with a slight change in the
comments, to slightly redundantly include what you said about the
entanglement of the boolean operators.

     http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/graph

It was very interesting to see that in the demo code, op \ is the
second largest CPU hog. From the sample profiler output we had before,
I don't see a clear indication that Matlab is able to do operators.

A few questions...

On 29 July 2011 11:23, Daniel Kraft <address@hidden> wrote:

> this patch implements profiling of operators. It was not that hard,
> after all ... only now the profile_data_accumulator *only* works on
> the strings identifying functions and never octave_function
> references. This is necessary because (AFAIK) operators don't have
> any octave_function corresponding to them. But it seems to work the
> way it is now.

This worries me a little. Is this no significant speed penalty on the
profiler? Quis profiliet ipsos profiles? Who profiles the profilers?
;-)

I couldn't notice a speed difference, but perhaps you could explain to
me in general. Will the profiling code affect execution speed while
the profiler is not active?

Also, how are you coming along with anonymous functions? Is there
something you need help with?

Thanks,
- Jordi G. H.