Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 65, Issue 14

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 65, Issue 14
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 07:07:48 -0700

On 08/06/2011 02:36 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 12:36:32 +0300
> From: Jussi Lehtola <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Build errors [was: API version going backwards?]
>
> On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 08:05:33 +0200
> Marco atzeri <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > In theory octave.info is already available in the source and
>> > doc rebuild should not happen.
> Right. Seems as there are some missing dependencies in the makefiles,
> since I could not reproduce the doc error.
>
> Now I ran into
>
> libtool: link: g++ -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
> -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64
> -mtune=generic -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/usr/include/freetype2 -Wall -W
> -Wshadow -Wold-style-cast -Wformat -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings
> -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
> -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64
> -mtune=generic -pthread -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
> -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64
> -mtune=generic -Wl,-z -Wl,relro -o gethelp gethelp.o  -lm -pthread
> gethelp.o: file not recognized: File truncated collect2: ld returned 1
> exit status make[3]: *** [gethelp] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/builddir/build/BUILD/octave-3.4.2/scripts'
> make[2]: *** [.DOCSTRINGS] Error 2
> mv plot/PKG_ADD-t plot/PKG_ADD
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/builddir/build/BUILD/octave-3.4.2/scripts'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/builddir/build/BUILD/octave-3.4.2'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
8/6/11

Jussi,

Building all of the documentation requires a fully working Texinfo
installation.  The Octave project distributes pre-built documentation
because Texinfo and all its dependencies are not always easy to install,
particularly on non-UNIX platforms.  The Makefiles sensibly look at any of
the source files to see if they have changed before going ahead and
building the documentation.  If nothing has changed since the tarball was
created then documentation generation can be skipped.  I would start your
build process over in a new directory where you simply unpack the tarball
and run ./configure and then make.  If that works then it is most likely
that you have touched some files before building (such as changing the API
field).  This isn't a problem, but you will then need the full list of
build prerequisites that developers use.

--Rik