Re: svds test failures

From: Rik
Subject: Re: svds test failures
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 21:28:55 -0700

On 08/08/2011 08:11 PM, Liam Groener wrote:
> On Aug 8, 2011, at 10:01 AM, Rik wrote:
>
>> 8/8/11
>>
>> Marco, Tatsuro,
>>
>> I've combined the list of initialization values which are acceptable for
>> Cygwin, MinGW, and Linux and it amounts to just [35, 40].
>>
>> Could someone with a MacOS system try those two values in svds.m?  Below
>> are the two lines to change.
>>
>> ------
>> %! randn ('state', 35);      % Initialize to make normest function
>> reproducible
>> %! rand ('state', 35)
>> ------
>>
>> After each change run the following code
>>
>> for i = 1:300
>>  bm(i) = test ("svds");
>> endfor
>> sum (bm)
>>
>> If the sum is not 300 then neither of the values will work.
>>
>> --Rik
> I haven't seen any replies yet, so I tested on OS X 10.7, Octave 3.4.2.
> Neither 35 nor 40 worked, 42 did.

Well this is great.  Apparently there is no single value that works for all
platforms.  The value 42 did work for Linux, Mac, and MinGW, but not for
Cygwin.  I am going to revert to 42 since that works with the most
platforms and then it will need to be debugged why svds is failing on Cygwin.

Thanks Liam for the test on Mac platforms.

--Rik