MSVC binaries not a GPL violation

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: MSVC binaries not a GPL violation
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 11:27:27 -0500

I don't know if this FAQ entry was in place back in 2009 but I can't
remember this being discussed since:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html#WindowsRuntimeAndGPL

Although I'm not sure if this is much consolation. Is the MSVC build
any easier than mingw32? I see the MSVC work is still under svn
history in Octave-Forge. Also, I'm very concerned with building the
GUI under Windows, and I don't see an easy solution for ptys if Cygwin
isn't one. Can a Cygwin build be easily distributed so that Windows
users don't immediately detect the foreign presence of Unix?

- Jordi G. H.