Offscreen plotting in OpenGL

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Offscreen plotting in OpenGL
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 22:27:57 -0400

On 11-Aug-2011, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

| So there's one outstanding wishlist item for making the OpenGL backend
| default for 3.6, and that's offscreen plotting.
|
| I asked around, and apparently it's now easier to do this than it was
| 3 years ago, and framebuffer objects are the way to go. It doesn't
| sound terribly complicated from my initial perusal of the subject.
| Should we "officially" (whatever that means) add this to the 3.6
| release goals?

It's definitely needed.

Does this have anything to do with printing?  As I recall, printing
also requires a display?  Does that make printing somehow tied to
screen (or framebuffer) resolution?  It would be best if could
generate vector graphics of some kind (PS, pdf, svg, whatever) that
don't have a fixed resolution.