Re: How about an easter egg?

From: Daniel Pfenniger
Subject: Re: How about an easter egg?
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:30:26 +0200

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> I know Octave is serious business, but... I've been wanting an easter
> egg somewhere.

> Or is any deviation from serious business just a bad idea?
>
> - Jordi G. H.

As ususal ask yourself what is the purpose of an easter egg?
Depending on its content it may satisfy the ego of the programmer
only, or it may stimulate the program users with a good joke.

So it depends on the program audience. Now Octave is not a computer
game.  When people play a game they are in fun mode, they like
to be distracted and surprised.  In this context an easter egg is
positive.

When people use Octave they are in serious mode and need to trust
its results.  An impression of superficiality, or the impression
that Octave has been made by juvenile programmers would decrease
their esteem for it.

So I don't think the expected audience, typically scientists and
engineers above 20-25, would consider Octave higher with such
distractions.  It might be otherwise with an audience of students
(say in the age range 15-25).

        Daniel