Re: Octave GUI status

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Octave GUI status
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 11:21:57 +0100

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Jacob Dawid
<address@hidden> wrote:
> To be more specific: there is no interprocess communication, since there are
> no pipes involved.

Call them pipes, streams, whatever you like, there will be
input/output objects between
the GUI app and the octave main thread. You can use pipes between 2
threads within
the same process.

>> Michael,
>>
>> we are not starting a another process! We call octave_main in a separate
>> thread in the same process. Does that still apply what you have said?

Yes. The problem you'll have is that istty(stdin) and istty(stdout) will return
false in octave and in any sub-process started from octave. This is less a
problem in octave, because we have full control of it, but this *is* a problem
in sub-processes. For instance, afaik the octave pager is based on "less";
as "less" won't see a tty on stdout, it will act as "cat": no paging.

Also, by dropping the terminal widget and pty's, you'll have to emulate
signal delivery, like SIGINT. I suspect this won't be trivial.

Michael.