TeX interpreter and rendering in OpenGL based backends

From: Ole Jacob Hagen
Subject: TeX interpreter and rendering in OpenGL based backends
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 09:14:32 +0200

Hi,

The TeX interpreter works with gnuplot as the chosen backend, however it doesn't work with OpenGL based backends such as FLTK and Oplot.

I've been fiddling with the idea to make a TeX interpreter + render-code, and I've started to study the SimpleTextEngine class (JHandles).
Before I eventually decide to make any effort, I'd like to get more information how the implementation should be.

I've also read some of the Octave code and found the following files to be vital to TeX interpreting: txt-eng.h, txt-eng-ft.<h, cc>.
I guess txt-eng-ft should implement interpreting and rendering through either composition or aggregation (read: "has-a"-relationship).
txt-eng.h can be expanded to have similar code as found in SimpleTextEngine class, I think...

I suggests that text_parser_tex inherits text_parser, but the rendering code is done elsewhere. A parser shouldn't perform rendering as I see it.
This is to create a pure implementation as possible.

I'm making a small test-application, just to see how it works and try to clear out any pitfalls.

Has anyone started this task already? Does it exist any code on a repository that I can check out?

A question, Is the existing ft_manager class copied and modified from FTGL-library?

Cheers,

Ole J.