Re: ambiguous call to "pow(int, unsigned int&)" in __magick_read__.cc:76

From: Jussi Lehtola
Subject: Re: ambiguous call to "pow(int, unsigned int&)" in __magick_read__.cc:763
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 21:50:53 +0300

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 13:03:39 -0500
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
> The precision of an int is less than 52 bits in all architectures I
> know of, which is the precision of a double, so it is very unlikely to
> introduce a problem to cast an int to a double. In a more dubious
> situation (e.g. casting a long to a double), it may be recommended to
> use Boost's numeric_cast functions.
>
> We've avoided Boost dependencies so far, but Boost is a very respected
> library from which the C++ standard library is made nowadays, so I
> don't think we should shy away from it if we see that it solves a
> problem for us particularly well.

Speaking as a package maintainer, the ugly thing about Boost is that
the API breaks every now and then. So, you have to be prepared to do
some preprocessing depending on which version of Boost the OS uses.

Otherwise the library is of course deemed high quality.
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor