Re: Problem building from 13027:b9a89ca0fb75

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Problem building from 13027:b9a89ca0fb75
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:30:48 -0400

On 29-Aug-2011, Ben Abbott wrote:

| I problem appears to have been introduced by rev 13024.

Please remember that the numeric IDs your hg archive may be different
from mine.  You should use thee hash ID unless we are talking about
the same archive.  Do you mean revision f3c53fea9fb5?  If so, then
that changed things so that -no-undefined is passed to libtool by
default.  But you can disable that by running configure with
--disable-no-undefined.  Can you try that and see if linking succeeds?
If so, what is different about the link command?  I'm guessing it will
be the -Wl,-single_module option, but I'm not sure as I can't seem to
find any clear documentation about that option on the web.

If we don't require all the symbols required are available at link
time for liboctave, does it still work for you when you call a
function that uses metis?  If so, then we could modify the configure
script so that -no-undefined is not passed to libtool on OS X
systems.

I made -no-undefined the default with the hope that it would make it
more likely to catch errors on all systems.  But maybe it's not the
best choice.