Re: Missing DLLs (was: Issues & questions building Octave-3.4.2 MinGW)

From: Nit Nit
Subject: Re: Missing DLLs (was: Issues & questions building Octave-3.4.2 MinGW)
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 10:58:53 +0300

Hello Octave users and maintainers,

I have uploaded my octave-3.4.2-mingw tree (based on Tatsuro's compilation) so other windows users can try to use it and test it.
This tree is based on a subset of Tatsuro's recent compilations.
I have used these on XP-sp3 and win7-x64 systems.
It should be noted that my testing is limited and it is probable that some dependencies libs or binaries are still missing.

There are two 7z archives:

a. Octave-3.4.2-mingw (without pkgs) - http://www.multiupload.com/Z067A1W77N (see included readme)

This archive can be extracted to any subdir (with no space chars).
octave.lnk should be modified to point to the actual binary and icon file.
It includes libs, headers and binaries to support printing and basic mkoctfile.
The environment vars are set via octaverc startup.
Notepad++ can be installed as an external application and set as default editor in octaverc (see included readme).

b. Octaveforge pkgs, built for Octave-3.4.2-mingw  - http://www.multiupload.com/6KICCHAPBJ (see included readme).

This archive should be extracted to the same tree as the first one and 'pkg rebuild' should be run to adapt the pkgs db.
I have built 72 out of the octaveforge current pkgs ('windows' and 'ad' are not auto-loaded due to a bug which cause a crash when 'clear all' is executed, probably SWIG related).
The archive includes all the external dependencies required to install these pkg's except for Java JDK which I have not included and should be downloaded and installed.
For e few pkgs I had to make make some minor teaks and changes in order to install them under this environment. I will report these to octaveforge pkg maintainers in separate posts.

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 1:45 AM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello

--- On Sun, 2011/8/21, Tatsuro MATSUOKAb wrote:

> Hello
>
> Thank you for your mail.
> I will check your suggestion on Monday.
>
> Regards
>
> Tatsuro
>
> --- On Sat, 2011/8/20, nitnit  wrote:
>
> > Hello Tatsuro,
> >
> > Regarding your last change to octave-3.4.2.zip (2011-08-18), I am not sure
> > this is really neadedL
> >
> > 1. Regarding libwmflite-7.dll - it was required for building oct files in
> > prev. versions of your 3.4.2 builds but at least for me, it not required any
> > more by the recent builds (after copying libblas.dll.a, libfftw3.dll.a,
> > libfftw3f.dll.a, liblapack.dll.a, libhdf5.dll.a from recent OctaveLibs.zip
> > to lib subdir of my octave tree).

I have checked dependency of GraphicsMagick dll files.
When I have updated Graphics Magick version from 1.3.7.to 1.3.12, libwmf is not used.
The GraphicsMagick dll files depends on libltdl-7.dll.
Octave does not supports wmf file for 'imread' so that it is not problem the GraphicsMagick prepared for octave for windows does not support wmf files.
Thank you for your suggestion.

> > 2. Regarding libltdl-7.dll - it is already bundled in the bin subdir in your
> > recent MinGW-TM.zip.
Yes.  Why I place depedency dll files to octave bin directory is to make octave can be executed by without downloading build stuff.

If you make the set of octave package which includes 'pkg install' stuff, duplicated dll  files can be omitted.

> > I have spent some time for reconstructing minimal installation tree for
> > being able to build oct files and adding octaveforge packages (using only
> > minimal subset of OctaveLibs.zip) from Tatsuro's builds and could build more
> > than 65 packages.
> >
> > Tatsuro, one issue may be taken care now is: sed.exe from bin subdir of
> > recent octave-3.4.2.zip requires some missing dlls. Actually, this sed.exe
> > can be removed from octave-3.4.2.zip since another version of sed.exe which
> > does not requires these dlls (probably statically linked) already provided
> > by your recent msys-TM.zip ! I have noticed this when I tried to build
> > octaveforge audio pkg and could successfully build it only after sed.exe
> > from octave-3.4.2.zip has been removed.

I have misled. Sed is not required for usual octave execution.
Msys sed may be required for octave-forge install  because 'pkg install' uses Msys and MinGW.  I will remove bin/sed from octave-3.4.2.zip bin directory.

Thanks!!

Tatsuro