Shouldn't liboctave et al. be linked against libgnulib.la?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Shouldn't liboctave et al. be linked against libgnulib.la?
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 10:46:50 -0400

On  3-Sep-2011, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| As the title says, liboctave et al. uses direct calls to functions from
gnulib.
| But only libcruft is linked against it. Is this normal?

Yes, libgnu is built as a "convenience library" (the term used by
the automake and libtool manuals) and all of its functions are supposed
to be inserted into libcruft.  There is not supposed to be a separate
libgnu library that we would need to link with.  Do you see an error?
Are the functions from libgnu not being inserted into the libcruft
library?