Re: Missing DLLs (was: Issues & questions building Octave-3.4.2 MinGW)

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Missing DLLs (was: Issues & questions building Octave-3.4.2 MinGW)
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 11:55:35 -0700 (PDT)

nitnit wrote:

> Hello Octave users and maintainers,
>
> I have uploaded my octave-3.4.2-mingw tree (based on Tatsuro's
> compilation)
> so other windows users can try to use it and test it.

Good work, thank you for doing this.
I'll test it the next weeks. Perhaps it is a good base for a "installer"
like NSIS.

I more or less did the same as you but never got around to finishing it
(when installing packages I still got complaints about missing include files
etc), let alone document it.
Good that someone beat me to it.

Will you upload a description of the exact steps to recreate your
octave-3.4.2-mingw tree, please?

> <snip>
> There are two 7z archives:
> <snip>
> b. Octaveforge pkgs, built for Octave-3.4.2-mingw  -
> http://www.multiupload.com/6KICCHAPBJ (see included readme).

I see that very unfortunately you have included the oct2mat package.

This package is only needed for converting Octave stuff to Matlab. It is
known to ruin a.o., MinGW-Octave's plotting stuff....

Please remove this package a.s.a.p. from the uploaded 7z file to avoid a
repetition of many many complaints in the help-octave ML (otherwise many
users will find your upload, obliviously use it anyway, and get stuck...)

> I have built 72 out of the octaveforge current pkgs ('windows' and 'ad'
> are
> not auto-loaded due to a bug which cause a crash when 'clear all' is
> executed, probably SWIG related).

Some remarks:

- Again, good work!

- From user's POV building all these packages shouldn't be needed anymore
since the "pkg" command contains a "-forge" option. OK, the pkg command may
need some improvements:
  * Automatically installing dependency packages
  * Checking for shadowed core functions (I'm busy with that)

- Perhaps it is better to supply the package-7z file with all packages NOT
loaded by default. It is easy to get the required packages autoloaded using
"pkg rebuild -auto <list of packages>".

- Michael has just uploaded a newer version (1.0.10) of the windows pkg. The
version you've included (1.0.8) is known to have problems.

- Similarly, although many OF-packages may install OK, it is unsure if they
do work OK with Octave-3.4.x. You marked your upload as meant for testing,
but that info is easily lost for users (esp. the more "spoiled" part of the
Windows audience). Maybe add "testing" somewhere in the name of the file?

> The archive includes all the external dependencies required to install
> these
> pkg's except for Java JDK which I have not included and should be
> downloaded
> and installed.

I suppose you mean a JRE rather than a JDK.
To run the Java pkg with Octave only a JRE is needed; but to build the Java
pkg a JDK is required.

Philip