Re: Release plans for the GUI

From: Júlio Hoffimann
Subject: Re: Release plans for the GUI
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 09:52:05 -0300

Hi all,

I would like to share my modest opinion on Octave GUI development. It's amazing to have an official GUI, we hope this way Octave can reach more people, particularly undergraduate courses.

What i think:

1) 90% Octave users are Linux users. (please correct me if i'm wrong)
2) Canonical made easy for every student to have a GNU/Linux operating system installed and working in dual boot.
3) Octave works on Windows, a GUI is not strictly necessary.

1+2+3 => To implement a feature in a way is not good just to reach other platforms is not a good paradigm, if there aren't experienced Windows developers working in Octave, we can't waste time by making this to work ourselves. It's so much easy for a end-user to install Ubuntu in dual boot and download Octave GUI from repositories than make it to work well on Windows.

If people is caring about a GUI, they can install Linux. If not, they just still running their scripts on the console. Seems radical, maybe it is, it's just my pragmatic(superficial) vision on the project.

Regards,
Júlio.

P.S.: Jacob is nice to see you again. :-)