Re: Release plans for the GUI

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Release plans for the GUI
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 09:25:02 -0400

On Sep 9, 2011, at 7:01 AM, Jacob Dawid wrote:

> If you go back and look at my original sources for the octave server in the
> OctaveDe project (which Jacob improved a lot, but also cut out a big chunk of
> functionality), there was functionality for requesting individuals variables
> and their contents and manipulating/interacting with debugging information.
> http://octavede.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/octavede/branches/OctaveDE_QT/src/server.cpp?revision=91&view=markup
>
> I'm sure this can be added back into the newest incarnation of the class that
> communicated with Octave quite easily, I just don't think anyone has done it
> yet.
>
> John Swensen
>
> This is possible and will definately happen.
>
> I don't agree with what Michael says, but I am not disputing over personal
> preferences. If he is able to offer a working terminal solution on both
> Windows and Linux in whatever way he does it, I am with him, though I have
> spent lots of time going a different direction. For now I have halted
> development on the terminal integration to await his answer.

I guess I don't quite get how you disagree with Michael.  Is it:
1) you don't think we should use the Konsole sources as unmodified as possible
for the Linux/OSX solution?
2) you don't think we should have a different solution for terminal emulation
on Windows and Linux?
3) both (1) and (2)?
4) Something altogether different?

I know it would take a little bit of time, but can you write up a paragraph or
two about your proposed/current solution for the terminal emulation problem for
the UNIX-y and Windows platforms so we have a better idea of what you are
planning?  I think at this point some of our discussion may be misunderstanding
the proposed solutions, rather than a difference in philosophy.

John Swensen