Re: Updated Octave3.4.2 Mingw for testing (was: Mingw Octave 3.4.2 - bla

From: Nit Nit
Subject: Re: Updated Octave3.4.2 Mingw for testing (was: Mingw Octave 3.4.2 - blank gnuplot printouts)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 08:47:29 +0300

> I see that you also include not-yet-released package versions (e.g., io-1.0.15). Not a problem, au contraire, several nasty bugs were fixed. But there are still a few more patches needed (that I'm working on). In a too optimistic mood I might have bumped the version number too soon :-)

> So, while you are busy doing Good Work, could you -in a next version of your 7z- also include an svn version of the linear algebra package then, please?
> A while ago I've updated the funm.m in there (it's still not very good, but anyway for several matrix functions it now invokes thfm.m which in turn invokes expm.m; it accepts function handle arguments; plus an inverse of V is avoided). I've also adapted thfm.m so it doesn't call funm anymore in turn.

OK, Let me let me know when the io-1.0.15 is ready and I will update both io and linear-algebra.

The fix which is needed for the Java is simply adding an additional flag (-Wl,--kill-at) for the mkoctfile lines in the Makefile (see http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=28050990) for mingw32 only ! Since I am not an expert of configuring the Makefile to properly handle both mingw32 and other platforms, I have simply patched my version of the Makefile with the additional flag but it may damage other platforms ! I have asked Michael Goffioul to patch the svn so it will be compatible with all platforms and I hope he will do it soon.

> All in all it is wise to very clearly indicate that some of the OF packages you've bundled are actually updated compared to the officially released versions.
I have used svn versions in cases where the formal packages didn't compile with mingw32, or when I knew about important fixes. In some cases I had to make my own patches in order for the package to compile properly with mingw32 and I plan to post these problems in the OF forum.
I will try to list these packages in the next update.