Re: R Mathlib

From: YuHong
Subject: Re: R Mathlib
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 09:28:04 -0700

Hello,

May I ask, since R is also an open-source application, in addition to include R’s components, can we also reference R’s internal algorithms when coding for octave and octave-forge ?  Thanks.

Best regards,

Hong Yu

Sent: Friday, September 23, 2011 9:56 AM
Subject: R Mathlib

While working on binopdf I noticed that there is a useful
collection of special functions in:

/*
*  Mathlib : A C Library of Special Functions
*  Copyright (C) 1998-2011  The R Development Core Team
*
*  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
*  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
*  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
*  (at your option) any later version.
*
*  This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
*  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
*  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
*  GNU General Public License for more details.
*
*  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
*  along with this program; if not, a copy is available at
http://www.r-project.org/Licenses/
*/

Would it make sense to consider adopting this whole set into Octave
in a way that would make updates fairly automatic?   I know for sure that
at least the probability and statistics functions in this library are very good
and actively maintained by the R group.

I do not think that there are any copyright issues, but there could be compatibility
and other  items to consider.  The R view of compatibility with Matlab is quite different
from the Octave's.

If this were done, an accurate and fast binopdf would be "automatic."  Roughly,
binopdf would just call the C dbinom function.

Comments?

Michael