Re: Release plans for the GUI

From: Levente Torok
Subject: Re: Release plans for the GUI
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:01:07 +0200

Hi Guys,

I dont like the matlab GUI either for the very same reasons.
However, it helps a lot for newbies. Which is a great plus and I
believe we need to be very much aware that
power users begin their life with a product as a newbie.

Instead, if I can push the focus of this discussion toward something,
I would prefer the comparision of the community of octave and R.
I guess the attitude of the two communities are much more alike than
octave and maltab communities.
I would be very happy if someone can give a good analysis on the
reasons why R became so popular versus octave which existes well
before R
it was always free unlike matlab, SAS or SPSS. So why and how did they
took over us?

Lev