RE: Octave's goals and motivations (Re: GUI)

From: Schirmacher, Rolf
Subject: RE: Octave's goals and motivations (Re: GUI)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 14:02:48 +0200

Please let me add my 2 ct:

First, my desktop at home is linux; at the office, it is windows (as typically
found in commercial environments).
Honestly, I have more of a use for octave at the office than at home.

We probably have to accept that for quite some times now windows became a
reasonable stable and commercially supportable working environment and thus is
the preferred option in many commercial environments.

So, I would still expect that there is a large number of (potential) users who
are required to operate under windows and within an environment where
dual-boot, etc. is not really a realistic option. Most of them are probably
more users than developers, so they would probably not show up that strongly in
the development community (but see the SF downloads as an indication). But in
addition, here is some hen and egg problem as well: The simple availability for
windows lacks clearly behind linux (i.e. 3.2.4 vs. 3.4.2), so windows users
might be de-motivated to use octave, so ...

So, please do not forget about us windows users!

Thanks,

Rolf