Re: Octave's goals and motivations (Re: GUI)

From: Victor Salit
Subject: Re: Octave's goals and motivations (Re: GUI)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 23:01:39 +0200

2011/9/29 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
2011/9/29 Victor Salit <address@hidden>:
> 2011/9/29 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
>>
>> Sigh...
>> No, you're not getting the point. Like I said many times, the GUI is a
>> high priority for the next release. Sooner if you help, kid.
>>
>> - Jordi G. H.
>
> Sooner if people stop discussing the 'evils' of proprietary software and
> start actually discussing GUI.

Evils. No scare quotes. Unless you think the problems I enumerated
about proprietary software (DRM, vendor lock-in, etc) are a great
thing and we should have as much of them as possible.
You might be surprised, but there are whole nations who prefer a king/tzar/dictator to tell them how to live and what to do. And as soon as they get freedom they can't maintain a normal life. Though this is really way off topic.

As for the software, there will always be proprietary soft even in the linux world. Even if there will be a miracle and large corporations will all of a sudden wake up and install linux, they will still need a reliable partner and choose Enterprise editions over community distros. Everything that this partner will do as part of their service contract for any given corporation will be inevitably closed source.

And no. Talk is cheap. It's cheap to dish out and doesn't slow work
down,
It's actually a huge waste of time.

 (how do you write code for
Matlab, then?).
I hope you know the difference between general and scientific programming?

If we write semi-detailed instructions for building on
Windows, can you help us do it and help us test the next development
release? That would do a lot of good and would get a working GUI in
your hands sooner.
I can try.

Victor