Wrapper for vectorized math libraries

From: Dan Davis
Subject: Wrapper for vectorized math libraries
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 10:11:49 -0400

For my own purposes, I am creating a wrapper library which can be used
as a generic interface to some of the functionality of Intel's MKL or
AMD's Libm (formerly acml_mv) libraries.  The specific functionality
I'm targeting to start with are the routines for computing arrays of
sin, cos, exp, log, log10, and log2 (those common to both libraries).
My goal is to treat these vendor libraries as plugins, using them if
they are available on the target machine, and providing default code
(currently just simple loops over the array) if they are not
available.

This could be useful to octave, although I'll admit I'm not sure of
the legality of distributing such a library.  I would certainly not
distribute AMD's or Intel's libraries, but I can see a great benefit
to many routines if they are used when they are available.  The
proprietary libraries are not required for building the wrapper, so I
don't see think that it would be a problem, but IANAL.  Is it worth
trying to add this in to octave?

Daniel Davis