Re: Stable vs. Default branch

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Stable vs. Default branch
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 20:45:09 -0700

On 10/03/2011 06:27 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
> On Oct 3, 2011, at 4:21 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
>
>> On  3-Oct-2011, Michael D Godfrey wrote:
>>
>> | On 10/03/2011 09:05 AM, Rik wrote:
>> |
>> |      Alternatively, we keep all development on the
>> |     default branch and only do the merge right before preparing 3.6 release
>> |     candidates.
>> |
>> |     --Rik
>> |
>> | This seems preferable to me.  This would allow, if necessary,
>> | an "incremental" update of the current release without any extra
>> | effort.  It is convenient to have a branch of the current release just
>> | in case...
>>
>> I agree.  Since we can't be sure that there won't be problems with
>> releasing 3.6, I think we should leave open the possibility of easily
>> making a 3.4.x release as long as possible.  Sure, if we merge default
>> to stable now and then find we need another 3.4.x release, we could
>> always go back and branch and transplant a bunch of patches, but I
>> don't see why we force ourselves into that situation unless we have
>> to.
>>
>> OTOH, as we get closer to the 3.6 release, we will want to avoid
>> making changes on default that are too risky or disruptive.  If we
>> find that is holding us back in some way, we could always create
>> another branch for those kinds of changes that could be merged with
>> default after default is merged with stable.
>>
>> jwe
> I'm not yet clear on which branch is the proper place for bug fixes.
>
> I have prepared changesets for a bug in how patch() handles vector colors. I
> can push to either stable of default.
>
> I've attached the changesets for anyone who would like more info.
>
> To which branch should this be pushed?
Sorry Ben :(

I think we dove into a future discussion about how the 3.6 release will
take place.

For now, the stable branch is frozen barring a fix necessary to get the
release candidate RC0 to compile and run correctly on one of the supported
platforms.  In fact, things seem well enough that RC0 could be the actual
3.4.3 release.

So, why don't you apply your patch to the default branch and we can
transplant it to stable after the 3.4.3 release.

--Rik