Re: setlocale ?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: setlocale ?
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 18:19:48 -0400

On  5-Oct-2011, CdeMills wrote:

| John W. Eaton wrote:
| >
| > On  5-Oct-2011, CdeMills wrote:
| >
| > | in order to use the locales from the environment and make internal
| > functions
| > | all at once aware of locales conventions ?
| >
| > Just calling setlocale won't magically fix Octave functions that do
| > their own parsing of input.
| >
| > jwe
| >
| This parsing is mostly implemented in src/oct-stream.cc, right ? Aren't
| those functions built as extensions of libc/libc++ base parsing ?

When I wrote that, I was thinking of things like textread and the
Octave parser itself.  It looks like textread may ultimately use C++
library functions to read numbers, so locale settings may help.  But
the parser does not recognize numbers that way, so it would not
automatically follow locale conventions just by calling setlocale.