Re: Single vs. Double Quotes

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Single vs. Double Quotes
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 13:43:30 -0400

On 16-Oct-2011, Ben Abbott wrote:

| On Oct 15, 2011, at 5:07 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

| > | > |

| > |
| > | You're right, this was just a quick hack I considered, but far from a
| > | good solution. Your other solution is better. I also thought about
| > | that, but was afraid of other side-effects due to the use of sprintf.
| > | Doubling % characters should prevent them.
| >
| > Another possibility is do_string_escapes.  It should still be applied
| > only to single-quoted strings in strread, but it saves you the step of
| > doubling the % characters and it only does backslash-style escape
| > processing, so it might be faster than sprintf.
| >
| > jwe
|

| Is there a robust way to determine whether a string is single-quoted or
double-quoted?

I checked in the following change to add the functions is_sq_string
and is_dq_string.

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/f80473f24553

Any objection?  If anyone thinks it would be better to just check
the string that typeinfo returns, speak up and give some justification
for that and I'll consider removing these functions.