Re: Mingw Octave-3.4.3 binaries for testing on windows

From: Nit Nit
Subject: Re: Mingw Octave-3.4.3 binaries for testing on windows
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 12:43:45 +0200

nitnit wrote:
Hello Octave users and maintainers,

I have succesfully compiled octave-3.4.3 (src downloaded from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/octave-3.4.3.tar.gz) with mingw, using Tatsuro's OctaveLibs and gplibs.
  > Good, thank you.
  > I'll try 3.4.3 this weekend. I also had it compiled early this week, I got more FAILS in the tests than you.

Many thanks to Tatsuro Matsuoka and Philip Nienhuis who have contributed their knowledge and experience.
  > Well, my contribution is not so big. Tatsuro did 99.9% of all the work before you took over.
  >
  > Will you still make a description of what files you put where in the subdir hierarchy?

Yes, I have documented what I have done. I will try to edit it in a way that others will be able to understand and use it and will post it later.

There are also several changes I had to make to some octaveforge packages in order to build them with mingw. These are are also waiting for me to post them.

  > Anyway:
  >
  > 1. The packages lib contains Octave3.4.2_gcc4.5.2 rather than Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2 as base dir. Unwary users
  > may copy it to the wrong directory

I will fix that.

  > 2. Did you also include the (some, or all) Java class libs required for spreadsheet I/O?
  >    If not, perhaps you can make a note in the README about where these can be downloaded.
  >    Benjamin included them in the 3.2.4 MinGW binary; they have GPL-compatible licenses.

I haven't tested the io functions so I have not noticed that there are missing jars. I will add them.

  > 3. In the packages README, please also mention to do a pkg rebuild -noauto oct2mat.
  >    oct2mat is known to severely affect Octave operation, a.o., plotting.

I have experienced the oct2mat effect on octave plotting with Benjamins 3.2.4 version. I have not experienced any such plotting problems with oct2mat with Octave 3.4.2/3.4.3, at least on the two machines I am using.

On win7-64bit octave loading and plotting is faster than on XP-SP3 but even on my XP-SP3 machine the slow plotting response is not effected by oct2mat.

Have you or anyone else experienced such problems (with octave 3.4.2 or 3.4.3) that are effected by oct2mat ?

In any case I can mention that in the README.

I will try to do all these fixes later today or tomorrow.

Nitzan