oct2mat (was: Re: Mingw Octave-3.4.3 binaries for testing on windows)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: oct2mat (was: Re: Mingw Octave-3.4.3 binaries for testing on windows)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 16:07:04 -0400

On 23-Oct-2011, PhilipNienhuis wrote:

| The help-octave ML is sprinkled with posts of people who got trapped by
| this.
| oct2mat really is only useful for porting Octave code to ML, I really think
| it is better to have it unloaded by default.

Please don't even allow oct2mat to be easily installed in Octave
unless it is fixed so that it does not install the functions that are
intended as replacements for Octave functions that don't exist in
Matlab.  As I understand it, those functions are supposed to be used
to allow Octave code to run in Matlab.  They are not needed in Octave
because Octave already provides them, and they cause trouble if they
are present in Octave.  (That alone seems like a bug, since I would
expect a replacement function derived from Octave to provide the same
functionality, but apparently those functions do not.)n