Re: Mingw Octave-3.4.3 binaries for testing on windows - Updated

From: nitnit
Subject: Re: Mingw Octave-3.4.3 binaries for testing on windows - Updated
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 03:13:08 -0700 (PDT)

PhilipNienhuis wrote:

> Ahhh...  I'm too late:
>
> I patched chk_spreadsheet_support.m to not bail out anymore with errors if
> Java doesn't work.
> After all, error messages while Octave is starting up are so unnecessarily
> obtrusive.
> In case of Java problems it just returns silently now, unless the dbug
> parameter is set to 1 or higher.
>
> Erroneous path settings (where to search for .jars, esp. for OpenOffice)
> still give errors; or do you want these silenced as well?
>
> Anyway I've updated it in svn now. Perhaps for a next update of your
> testing binary.

All jars are in the bin subdir (same as Benjamins).

PhilipNienhuis wrote:

> Did you include some check here to see if the Java package has been
> loaded?
> IIRC Benjamin included these in the Java pkg rather than io pkg just
> because of this dependency.

I have added these checks + javaaddpath/javarmpath logic as io's
PKG_ADD/PKG_DEL (see lib/octave/packages/io-1.0.15...).

The PKG_ADD/PKG_DEL implements all the logic to add and remove the path !

I didn't put it as part of the java PKG_ADD/PKG_DEL because in such case,
maintainer of the java pkg will have to maintain the "knowledge" of which
jars are desired for the io pkg ! This probably can be part of the formal
java package !

Please review the PKG_ADD/PKG_DEL I have added to the installed io pkg and
consider to use them or implement similar logic by yourself and make that
part of the formal io package.

In order for the java pkg to be loaded before the io pkg, I have added
additional 'pkg rebuild -auto java' at the end of the 'pkg rebuild...'
sequence in my instructions of the packages binaries installation. This can
be part of a future automated installer.

Nitzan