Re: Windows binaries and 3.2.4

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Windows binaries and 3.2.4
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:10:28 -0700

On 27 October 2011 09:32, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
> It seems that there has been great success in getting 3.4.3 to build
> on Windows platforms.

As Philip and Nitzan have pointed out, that's debatable.

> It feels like the bug tracker has seen a lot of reports lately for
> issues filed against the 3.2.4 version of Octave on Windows.
[snip]
> Part of the problem is the Octave for Windows page
> (http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?OctaveForWindows) which shows 3.2.4
> as the first release.

No, I don't think that's why all Windows users are using 3.2.4. They
go to octave.org which points to Windows binaries on octave.sf.net and
the only one listed there is 3.2.4. It looks like *we* are still
saying, "use 3.2.4 on Windows" because that's what we are directly
linking to.

Sadly, 3.2.4 is still the best we can offer Windows users. If the
compilation is done, the installer seems pretty easy to do. Philip,
you were asking about it. Ben's code for the installer is under svn
here:

http://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/octave/trunk/octave-forge/admin/Windows/mingw32/octave.nsi.in?revision=7205&view=markup&pathrev=8276

Look around that directory in svn. It contains all of Ben's work that
we have. I wish we could contact him again, at least in a consulting
capacity, just for advice. :-( Has anyone had any luck getting in
touch with him?

- Jordi G. H.