Re: [OctDev] Automatic code generation

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Automatic code generation
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 15:23:28 +0100

On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 02:07:21PM +0100, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> Does anybody has functions to generate octave code?
>
> I am about to assemble a octave-forge package for this (activity
> starting on mid January 2012) and I would like to centralize what have
> been already made.
>
> I would like to invite you to start a discussion on how to do it.
> Probably octave itself is not the best (python or perl probably
> better), but I will start in octave + string package, since I have
> already some basic functions.
> I would like to know what you think, even if your contribution is
> theoretical (i.e. you do not plan to participate) it is welcome. Just
> keep it as succinct as possible.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
> -----
> PhD Student
> University of Zürich
> http://ailab.ifi.uzh.ch/carbajal/

What would be really useful IMHO would be converting the
representation of a function in Maxima into octave code. E.g. one
could create a system of ODEs in Maxima with some standard procedure,
pipe it through a converter and immediately use it in Octave for
simulation. This could probably yield part of the functionality some
(nonfree) software for mechanical simulation offers.

Olaf