Re: [OctDev] Automatic code generation

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Automatic code generation
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 16:58:50 +0100

Am Freitag, 4. November 2011, 08:27:35 schrieb Sergei Steshenko:

> 'maxima' has a scripting language of her own, and it wasn't too dificult for
> me to learn some basic things about it.

Which is suitable for symbolic manipulation and not so much for creating
source code for other languages. maxima is programmed in common lisp and it is
one of its documented and supported features that you can write your own user
defined functions in common lisp.

> I am using 'maxima' for symbolic manipulations, and some Perl after it to do
> some "replication" (I need to convert two similarly looking expressions, so
> I do the conversion for one and generate the other from the first one) and
> name substitution.

I see your point, which is something I would like to avoid - to have yet
another layer of scripting language which acts as an intermediate layer
between the systems. Of course ymmv and obviously it does, nothing wrong with
your way doing it.

> The later can be done in 'maxima' herself, but I know Perl much better than
> 'maxima'.

As I tried to indicate  above, in maxima's own scripting language it will be a
pain to do that as far as I can see (but I will have to look at it again,
amybe it only looks at the moment like that and turns out to be easier) and I
look for quite some time now for an excuse to code something in lisp again :)