Re: Dash in octave-prefs filename

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Dash in octave-prefs filename
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 11:48:05 -0500

On  6-Nov-2011, Rik wrote:

| On 11/05/2011 01:10 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
| > On  5-Nov-2011, Rik wrote:
| >
| > | Would it be okay to change the filename for octave preferences to
| > | '.octave_prefs'?  This would be consistent with .octave_hist and
| > | .octave_packages.
| >
| > I like dashes in filenames rather than underscores.  It would be OK to
| > be consistent, but what will we have to do to not break things for
| > people who are currently using the old name?  How long do we have to
| > keep the code that looks for both names?
|
| Has the code been out long enough for there to be much uptake?  The
| changeset adding the new preference setting functions was committed on
| September 30th.

Oh, *that* file name.  I almost forgot about writing those functions
and I really didn't remember that a file was involved.  I should have
checked.  Sorry about that.

OK, I agree that helping users transition to a different interface or
file name in some code that has just been added is not all that
important.  I think your change is OK.  We can remove the warning at
the time of the release if you'd like.