Re: shadowed functions in octave-forge

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: shadowed functions in octave-forge
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 08:30:37 -0800 (PST)

bpabbott wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2011, at 7:21 AM, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:

>>> Thanks. If I understand correctly, the built-in fstat is
>>> deprecated, and the fstat function from statistics is actually
>>> useful. So I will not remove fstat from the statistics package.
>>>
>>> Clemens
>>
>> Exactly,
>> do not remove from the statistics package.
>> Some dev could remove fstat from core, if the conclusions in the given
>> mail are still valid.
>>
>> JPi
>
> When installing packages, I often run into problems resulting from
> attempting to install on a too old or too new version of Octave.  I don't
> have any good suggestions for how to avoid such problems in all cases.
>
> However, in this instance ... perhaps a more robust approach is to check
> for the core version when installing the package, and only install the
> package version if the core function is absent?

On my todo list I still have "fixing pkg.m so that it will check for
shadowing core functions/keywords/.... and offers options for skipping the
offending functions".
One of my motives for this was to less strictly tie octave-forge packages to
octave versions.

I was half way a first solution for m-files (checking for the compiled OF
functions is still a bridge too far).

Hopefully I'll soon be able pick up this issue again. Hopefully in time for
Octave 3.6.....

Philip