Re: browsing the new wiki

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: browsing the new wiki
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:39:55 +0100

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Richard <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 18/11/2011 20:28, John W. Eaton wrote:
>>
>> It's nice that there is a good search mechanism for the new wiki, but
>> what is the right way to browse the pages?
>>
>> Is there some easy way to maintain a table of contents?
>>
>> jwe
>>

> Shortly after the new wiki was created I ported, and slightly updated, the
> page 'Build From Source' from the old wiki. I now see that someone has
> ported the same page as 'Build from Source'.
>
> A contents page might have prevented this waste of effort, so consider this
> a second vote for this functionality. Also I don't see how to merge these or
> delete one as a normal user.
>
> Richard
>
> --

Hi,
Sorry for the doubled work.

There are several content visualizations in the wiki.

First of all, if you think some other people may be porting pages,
check "recent changes" (this also helps spotting spambots). ther eis
an implicit claiming system, something like "first come first serve".

Secondly, you can use "special pages"->"list of all pages"

Finally, we are trying to add Categories to the articles. For this
type of article [[Category:Installation]] can be added to the bottom
of the article. In this way going to "special pages"->"categories"
will show a nice content page (I think joannac will add directly to
the left navigation bar).

Also, we have to be careful when porting form the old wiki. Lets try
to capitalize the first letter of the first word and proper names. So
"Build [f|F]rom Source" should be "Build from source" (unless source
is considered a proper name, no idea about that). This is assuming
that is the naming standard (which it seems to be).

Thanks

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----