Re: Is FLTK the default toolkit for 3.6.0?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Is FLTK the default toolkit for 3.6.0?
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:20:59 -0500

On Nov 24, 2011, at 2:04 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 23-Nov-2011, Rik wrote:
>
> | Are we upgrading the FLTK toolkit to be the default plotting engine?  If
> | yes, then a bunch of FLTK bugs on the tracker probably become blockers.
> | For example, segfaulting when values larger than bitmax ('single') are used
> | or the fact that reported mouse coordinates are not accurate.
>
> If making the OpenGL+FLTK graphics the default turns these bugs into
> blockers, then I don't think we want to make the switch.  I don't know
> how to fix these problems, and since some of the reports are months
> old, I don't see them being fixed quickly.  I don't want to wait
> months for a release because of this.
>
> jwe

On MacOS the FLTK backend has regressed since the last 3.4 release. I think I
can provide an ugly fix, but am skeptical of how robust it will be (see bug
34720)

Also I'm under the impression that Qt will become the default backend (gui and
all that).

I'm in favor of leaving the default as gnuplot.

Ben