Re: Bus error with Octave built with Homebrew/MacOSX

From: J. Luis
Subject: Re: Bus error with Octave built with Homebrew/MacOSX
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 23:44:28 +0000

On 26-11-2011 23:35, Ben Abbott wrote:
On Nov 26, 2011, at 5:52 PM, J. Luis wrote:

By curiosity I built Octave 3.4.2 on Mac using homebrew. Aside  from a small problem with
szip that brew complained that the MD5 sum failed till I changed the MD5 sum in the brew
formula. Than Octave built fine (and fast - ~30 min). However, whatever I try to make it
plot something, I get (and yes, I have tried the suggested set "GNUTERM=x11" or
'aqua')

octave:1>  graphics_toolkit('fltk')
octave:2>  plot(rand(1,2))
panic: Bus error -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
save to `octave-core' complete
Bus error

** Please don't hijack other threads **

Me hijack other threads?
But it was you that wrote in the message to which I replied

"I would hope there are enough MacOS users / developers who follow this list that we should be able to automate the process for creating an app-bundle.

If that is going to happen, we'll need to a thread for that purpose, and a few committed volunteers."

I've not used Homebrew, but have heard of it.

A very nice tool that does not create a parallel universe under /opt and installs everything on /usr/local using symlinks

Can you tell us more about what you did?

brew install octave

Did you build Octave (1) from the "formula" supplied by Homebrew, or (2) from a
modified version of the Homebrew formula, or from a formula of your own making?

No, I did not edit the octave formula. Only the szip formula because of an error somewhere about the expected MD5 sum.

Also, do I understand correctly that you encounter a bus error when using
either the gnuplot or fltk graphics toolkits?

Yes.

Joaquim