Re: Bus error with Octave built with Homebrew/MacOSX

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Bus error with Octave built with Homebrew/MacOSX
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 19:08:23 -0500

On Nov 26, 2011, at 6:44 PM, J. Luis wrote:

> On 26-11-2011 23:35, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>> On Nov 26, 2011, at 5:52 PM, J. Luis wrote:
>>
>>> By curiosity I built Octave 3.4.2 on Mac using homebrew. Aside  from a
>>> small problem with szip that brew complained that the MD5 sum failed till I
>>> changed the MD5 sum in the brew formula. Than Octave built fine (and fast -
>>> ~30 min). However, whatever I try to make it plot something, I get (and
>>> yes, I have tried the suggested set "GNUTERM=x11" or 'aqua')
>>>
>>> octave:1>  graphics_toolkit('fltk')
>>> octave:2>  plot(rand(1,2))
>>> panic: Bus error -- stopping myself...
>>> attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
>>> save to `octave-core' complete
>>> Bus error
>
>> ** Please don't hijack other threads **
>
> Me hijack other threads?
> But it was you that wrote in the message to which I replied

You diverted a conversion toward your own purpose. Please don't do that without
changing the "subject" line.

>> I've not used Homebrew, but have heard of it.
>
> A very nice tool that does not create a parallel universe under /opt and
> installs everything on /usr/local using symlinks
>
>> Can you tell us more about what you did?
>
> brew install octave

Ok. Octave builds and runs using both the Fink and Macports package managers.
It appears the problem is with the Homebrew formula.

There is a bug report on the Homebrew web site that looks similar.

        https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issues/8099

The fix was to ...

        rm -rf ~/.fontconfig

If that doesn't fix the problem for you, I recommend you add an "issue" to the
homebrew githup so that the individual maintaining the homebrew octave formula
can help debug the problem.

Ben