Re: Slowing scatter down for the sake of Matlab compatibility

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Slowing scatter down for the sake of Matlab compatibility
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 17:28:55 -0500

2011/12/4 Robert T. Short <address@hidden>:
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>>
>> Re this bug:
>>
>>     https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?34936
>>
>> It looks to me like it boils down to keeping Matlab compatibility and
>> making a patch object per dot. If we do that, then we really ought to
>> figure out a way to optimise __go_patch__ for each possible backend,
>> because it's a tremendous slowdown to do this for as little as 1000
>> points.
>
> Jordi, we went through this a long time ago.

It looks like the result of that discussion resulted in a lot of
brokenness. The scatter code doesn't work very well for more than 100
points and has a lot more complexity than it should, I think.

> I think the conclusion was that MATLAB does the patch object for
> each dot only up to some number of dots (100 is the number I
> recall).

Oh great, this almost what the current Octave code does too.

What does it for more than 100 points? How many patch objects?

- Jordi G. H.