library versioning

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: library versioning
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 12:41:39 -0500

We need to update the library version numbers for the release.

Should we keep libcruft, liboctave, and liboctinterp versions
synchronized, or should we handle them individually and only
update them if necessary?  For example, looking at diffs between
the current sources and 3.4.3, libcruft did not change, so we
would not have to increment its version number unless we want to
keep it in sync with the others that we do update.

Reading the guidelines here

http://www.gnu.org/s/libtool/manual/html_node/Updating-version-info.html#Updating-version-info

it looks like the minimum changes in version numbers would be

  libcruft:     0.0.0 -> 0.0.0
  liboctave:    0.0.0 -> 1.0.0
  liboctinterp: 0.0.0 -> 1.0.0

For the future, I would consider merging the three libraries into one,
but with debugging symbols, that would generate a 325MB file on my
system.  That seems quite large, especially when we have to generate
it often.  I think it helps to keep it in separate chunks.

Comments?