mkoctfile and --disable-shared

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: mkoctfile and --disable-shared
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 13:03:39 -0500

On 10-Dec-2011, Ben Abbott wrote:

| Forgive my ignorance, but ...
|
| A problem has been reported on the bug tracker.
|
|       https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?34997
|
| The individual tried to install the specfun package from Octave built with
"--disable-shared". The pkg's makefile (via mkoctfile) created a shared version.

It worked to build a version of Octave with --disable-shared?  Really?
What system?  I don't think that's really worked on any modern system
lately.

On some systems it may be possible to do dynamic linking without
shared libraries, but I don't think that is true on modern GNU/Linux
systems.  So with if you use --disable-shared, I think you've
effectively disabled dynamic linking and there is no way to use .oct
files in that case.

Why did the person who reported the problem think they wanted
--disable-shared?

Oh, I see they also used --disable-dl, so they *explicitly* disabled
dynamic linking (regardless of whether it requires shared libraries)
and now they are complaining that dynamic linking doesn't work?