Re: Removing broadcasting from Octave

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Removing broadcasting from Octave
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 23:13:53 +0100

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Robert T. Short
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Przemek Klosowski wrote:
>>
>> On 12/14/2011 03:55 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
>>
>>> The idea of having an easily deactivated warning when about bsx is
>>> perform is not a bad idea...of course standard code gets  verbose
>>> output :(
>>

>> MATLAB_ME_HARDER?
>>
>> (in a way of explanation, Richard Stallman, who didn't like POSIX much,
>> proposed an environment variable POSIX_ME_HARDER that made several GNU
>> utilities behave in a POSIX-mandated way that Stallman didn't like
>> (reporting disk space in 521B units instead of 1kB, etc). People found it a
>> little too 'geek/offensive' so it's called POSIXLY_CORRECT now :)
>>

> Are we worrying too much about translation to MATLAB?  Easy translation is
> absolutely critical for me, but I think about it as I write code.  If the
> manual has a warning then I consider myself warned.
>
> Bob

Robert has a point...I guess I will have to go through my functions at
the time of collaboration and check if they are all matlabotomized.
Guess an entry in the manual should be enough for humans (and we say
good bye to automatic translation (basically search and replace) :( ).

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----