Re: Removing broadcasting from Octave

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Removing broadcasting from Octave
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 01:08:37 -0500

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 8:16 PM, Michael Godfrey
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Another obvious remark: broadcasting does not introduce any new
> problems for porting Matlab code to Octave.  And, Octave code
> which obeys Matlab rules about dimensional matching will port to
> Matlab regardless of broadcasting.

I find this argument very convincing. Because broadcasting is so much
more expressive, it is guaranteed to be my preferred notation. Besides
numpy, similar things are done in IDL and I sorely missed it in
octave.

I had been thinking about this in the sense of: I've developed a
function in octave and a collaborator wants to use it in Matlab. It
would be nice if it could be translated into bsxfun calls for matlab.
But you're 100% correct that working Matlab code will work in octave.
Since this does not affect working Matlab code, I see no reason to
disable this by default for the next release.

--judd