Re: OctConf 2012

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: OctConf 2012
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 14:33:22 -0500

2011/12/21 c. <address@hidden>:

> On 20 Dec 2011, at 04:21, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
>> Aw, sorry. I tried to pick dates that were likely to be the summer
>> break in the northern hemisphere (and not too hot, June is usually not
>> as hot as July). The local universities finish their winter term
>> around May Day. When could be a better time?
>
> Jordi,
>
> usually the "conferences season" in this part of the world is in
> July/September.
> anayway I don't want to impose a schedule if you think that is the best time
> don't change it.

Well, if it could make it easy for more Europeans to come, I think
it's worth moving the date to July. I don't think it makes a huge
difference for Americans except Angloamericans might already have
other plans for the beginning of July (national holidays).

Can any other European confirm that July is better than June?

Montréal is also full of festivals during the summer. The Just For
Laughs/Juste Pour Rire and the Jazzfest are the two biggest ones in
June and July.  The Jazzfest is June 8 - July 7 and Juste Pour Rire is
July 7-31. They may be fun, but they may also complicate lodging:

    http://montreal.com/tourism/festivals/index.html

- Jordi G. H.