[OT] Re: Snapshot 3.5.91

From: Jussi Lehtola
Subject: [OT] Re: Snapshot 3.5.91
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 20:31:14 +0200

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 08:49:04 -0800
Michael D Godfrey <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 12/28/2011 08:19 AM, Jussi Lehtola wrote:
> > Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The texinfo-tex package is compiled
> > from the texinfo sources, so it is totally independent from the
> > LaTeX implementation used by the system.
> This is sort of true, but with Fedora up through 16 yum install
> texinfo-tex requires as dependencies texlive-2007 even if
> texlive-2011 is installed.

> As in:
> address@hidden ~]# yum install texinfo-tex
> Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit

(clip)

>  From what you said earlier, this is all being straightened out, so I
> will stop worrying about it.

The behavior you noted is due to yum magic. texinfo-tex requires just
tex(tex), and

$ repoquery --whatprovides "tex(tex)"
texlive-0:2007-66.fc16.x86_64
texlive-0:2007-65.fc16.x86_64
texlive-collection-basic-0:2011-2.20111207_r24786.svn20730.fc16.noarch

In these circumstances yum picks the package with the shortest name,
i.e., the 2007 version.

Installing a TeXLive scheme such as
# yum install texlive-scheme-medium

should get you all you need.