mkoctfile urgently needs attention before Octave 3.6.0 release

From: Lukas Reichlin
Subject: mkoctfile urgently needs attention before Octave 3.6.0 release
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 10:08:13 +0100

I'm not in the position to block the release cycle. But I really think that
Octave 3.6.0 must not be released unless regression #35114 [1] is fixed. During
the discussion about my bug report [1], this regression turned out to be
questionable feature! I do respect the developers' decision, but they must
provide a convenient solution for the broken packages (at least 3 packages) on
all platforms. This is not the case and I am not amused to say the very least.

After all, it's not one of these simple, long-standing bugs. It's a serious
regression that renders all my work since 2009 on the control package pretty
useless. And there's nothing I can do about it.
Even worse, this regression gets my thesis into trouble. As part of my thesis
this spring, I have to (I'm happy to) publish a paper in a journal about
control systems. The paper will demonstrate my new controller reduction and
system identification functions - some of them are beyond the scope of Matlab -
and propagate the use of GNU Octave in engineering.

Given the current circumstances, I would have to include remarks like "Due to a
serious regression, which turned out to be a questionable feature, it is not
possible to install the control package for the current Octave version 3.6. You
have to use Octave 3.4, for which no good binaries are available."
Then the readers will think that GNU Octave is a ridiculous piece of
alpha-quality software, far away from being a viable alternative to Matlab. And
the bad thing is they would be right.

In order to circumvent these problems, I propose the following solution that
works from both Octave prompt and OS shell:
Addition of a new option "--link-all-libs" to mkoctfile that brings back
linking against all libraries from previous Octave versions (up to 3.4.3).

Best regards,
Lukas

[1]
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?35114